Extension support

General discussion forum for SDStudio Design Environment
lumina.roza

Extension support

Post by lumina.roza »

does this application support mediastudio action or object plugins or will there be ports of those plugins?
Serkan
Developer
Developer

Post by Serkan »

There will not be any support for third party application extensions
lumina.roza

Post by lumina.roza »

sad
Serkan
Developer
Developer

Post by Serkan »

To clarify this a little bit more

All lua modules can be used with SDStudio , such as : luacom,luasql and others
But those modules have to be compatible with the latest Lua version and it is 5.3.4 today
Standalone modules (statically linking with lower Lua versions ) might work but they will fail at a point anyway.
There is a Lua binding for almost every technology ,such as DB engines ,network tools etc.
SDStudio will not prevent you from using such modules ,for sure

SDStudio creates Unicode applications and this should be taken into account when using a Lua module which is targeted ANSI

In addition ,there will be tools to build your own custom controls , and you can create custom extensions (scripts) with buil-in SDStudio functions

For example a FrameWindow will allow you to use it as a host window for third party libraries which need a window to show content
Scintilla would be a good example for this
Or you can use that window ,as a canvas to show drawing ,images ,custom grids etc..

There will also be a UserControl which can be used as a custom control ,for example you can create a normal button control and customize it with provided events , this is know as SubClassing ,
Or you can design your own custom control from scratch
You can also create embedded windows , for example you can create your own combobox , so there is no limitation
All of these are possible, but requires a little knowledge ofcourse
But it is not too hard, and sample projects will help you to understand how to implement such things ,

Now asking; which method would you prefer , using a third party extension made by someone else , or making your own extensions embedded with application itself

your application is totally based on third party extension ,and extension author has stopped developing/updating it or just disappeared.
There is a bug in the extension and only developer can update it ,and you can not reach him in anyway
Being tired of waiting for an update to an annoying bug that affects your application very badly etc.. etc..

Or making your own custom control or extension script in the your application project, being able to edit it in any way you prefer, at any time you want, without dealing with installations, licencing issues, moving them to other projects by just doing a copy&paste, making project specific adjustments without being limited with fixed property dialogs
BadKaiPanda

Post by BadKaiPanda »

Premade options still have there place Serkan if they didn't your tool wouldn't be needed remember that lol, yes many of us will love the freedom to be able to make our own things but even me will be limited on all the object related things some of us do hit our limits.

So you can't say using 3ed party things is a bad thing, for some people it's needed, there is a balance here, and you know it, I think you have some bad taste in your mouth over other tooling what we all do but both self coding and 3ed party tools/scripts have a place and you know it.

:)
BunnyHop CDD Obscurer Post | Home Page
Serkan
Developer
Developer

Post by Serkan »

I do not say third party stuff bad

i trying to explain that , you are not limited to single person's work
a concept develped as an extension can still be shared with others
when you download someone's submition , you can improve , adjust ,chage or whatever you want

Consider ListBoxEx , it allows you to add icons (*.ICO) and display them at the left side of each item
But if you will need to display icons at right side , or even need (*PNG) file support ,eg: album covers ,book covers etc..
Only developer can make changes , and you have to wait him to make that changes , add options you need

But here i will provide you with a custom listbox sample and only you will define how to display item content
Create derivative works ,adjust it accoding to your project requirements , by doing some code changes
What is worng with these

I would create a bonus extension pack (compiled as dlls) and sell them separately :P
BadKaiPanda

Post by BadKaiPanda »

Serkan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 pm I would create a bonus extension pack (compiled as dlls) and sell them separately :P
Yes but my point is some times some things are going to be our of the range of others to make, so if you or I or others make a plugin like tool for others to use then this would help people, you did imply that making things yourself is the only way to go, where is is almost right it's not true for everyone some people just can't program that complex so we need to keep that in mind, and take A-M-S off your block list lol without them you wouldn't be creating this tool with so much pashin and you wouldn't have the following like you do without them, don't you ever believe it's all on your own back, its from the fame you made in that world that helped you with this world.

We should respect the paths we followed to get where we are today, and without them you wouldn't be where you are and ever would I, I learnt so much from that place and learn so much from you, so respect the past :)

You sometimes get really strong with not supporting something and we should do it all our selves and you might not see this all the time, so remember not everyone is smart as you and not able to make things like you can this is why they ask will there be a plugin system or if you will port these plugins you already created over, I believe you should or include them already in to the app as these are the things what got them people to respect you. giving users a new tool what them makes them do all the work is scary and addons and plugins are where peoples start and once they grow out of the limits then they start to make and learn things on there own.

You know I love what you do and respect how smart you are, but same time I not going to roll over and say YES your right all the time :) I am a true person that respects you for whom you are and at times that means saying NOPE that's not kinda right or hey look at it this way before saying do it this and that way :)
BunnyHop CDD Obscurer Post | Home Page