Multiplatform

Forum for suggestions and new feature requests for SDStudio Design Environment
ctaty3

Multiplatform

Post by ctaty3 »

Tell me please, is it possible to somehow implement multiplatform? For example, if you want to use the programs you have made in Linux? Although I understand that this is most likely impossible, but still ...
BadKaiPanda

Post by BadKaiPanda »

I would love to see the option to be able to compile to linux also I have a project that would really be useful but with the use of wine it's not a must long as it's not going to need loads of dlls included with it, wine is the answer as wine is also on mac.
BunnyHop CDD Obscurer Post | Home Page
Serkan
Developer
Developer

Post by Serkan »

Multiplatform is something we have tried in the beginning steps of SD Studio and we realized that was a waste of time.
Because it makes things harder and impossible for developers.
You need at least 10 parallel developers in order to build a serious multi platform application.
Sure, there are several tools around that builds multi platform applications, but they are very limited, and mostly only for GUI based.

Today, most popular frameworks are Xamarin and QT
Xamarin is swimming underwater, even Microsoft's push did not help nor million-dollar ads

And QT has similar issues ,you can't use x widget on X platform , You can only use some features of widget x on x platform . heavy runtime dependencies etc.. etc..
BadKaiPanda

Post by BadKaiPanda »

It's the dependenices you have a problem with but when your creating a tool that is using lua as it's core you have no real reason not to offer it, you can wrap like I said with wine, but saying it's a waste of time for this kind of program is not very true now is it, but you are right making it work is a pain in the back side, I created tools in lua on linux in the past using wxlua and it was fine but trying to move that over to windows was a pain as lua needs it's bins and then wxlua needed it's bins and so on so forth, hard yes but not waste of time for this kind of tool.

But if a user wants a tool to last it needs to be multi tool or start life on linux, windows tools have a shitty life span have to push updates to keep up with every change the OS brings, but when it's out on many platforms your tool is respected more in my view.
BunnyHop CDD Obscurer Post | Home Page